Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Garden Squash

Well, if you saw the video from last week, you know how large the squash from our garden is. If you missed that post - here is a picture of one of the 3 we've got growing back there:

That's right! Just water and sun and a bit of compost and voila!

Having a very large squash on my hands I decided to do some research on what I could make with it. I found a few recipes that were for this specific type of squash (There were many more for zucchini or butternut types) but I played with a couple different recipes to see what I could get out of them.

First I tried a squash mash, which basically means you boil squash pieces and then mash them with butter and salt and pepper. It wasn't too bad, but definitely would have been better if it were a butternut variety. 

So much squash!



I then mashed it up and...you get the idea.

The second recipe I tried was for some squash fries. They turned out pretty good, but we found that they are much better hot than cold. For the recipe go here. Again, probably would have been better if it were a butternut or something.


Add some homemade black bean burgers to the mix (thanks to a recipe from Jordan's friend Rhane!) and we had ourselves a very vegetarian friendly lunch.

They were mighty good together.

If any of you have recipes for green squash (it definitely isn't zucchini - the peel is very hard) I'd love to hear about them!

Have a wonderful day!
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment